Event Date & Times:
Mixed & Same Sex Doubles: 70+: Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017 at 7:30am.
Mixed & Same Sex Doubles: 50-69: Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017 at 6:00pm.
Event Location: Pacific High School, 425 Indian Warpath Dr., Pacific, MO 63069 (Click on address to open location in Google Maps.)
Age Categories: To Be Determined.
Competition Divisions: Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles, and Mixed Doubles.
Equipment for Event:
- Tennis shoes are needed for this event.
- Each player must furnish their own paddle.
- Balls will be provided.
Event Description: Pickleball is a simple paddle game played using a special perforated, slow moving ball over a tennis-type net on a badminton-sized court. The ball is served underhand without bouncing it off the court and is served diagonally to the opponent’s service court. Points are scored by the serving side only and occur when the opponent faults (fails to return ball, hits the ball out of bounds, etc.) The server continues to serve, alternating service courts, until server faults. The first side scoring 11 points and leading by at least a 2-point margin wins. For example, if both sides are tied at 10 points, then play continues until one side wins by 2 points.
NOTE: Any changes will be announced the day of the event. Any circumstances not covered by the following rules will be ruled upon by the event coordinator.
- The Serve:
- Serve Motion: The serve must be made with an underhand stroke so that contact with the ball is made below the server’s waist (navel level).
- Underhand Defined: The arm must be moving in an upward arc and the paddle head shall be below the wrist when it strikes the ball.
- Server Position: The server must keep both feet behind the baseline during the serve with at least one foot on the court surface or ground at the time the ball is struck. The serve must be made while the server’s feet are within the confines of the serving area. These confines lie behind the serving court baseline and on or between the imaginary lines extended from the court centerline and each sideline.
- The Serve: The ball must be struck before it hits the court surface. The ball must land in the opponent’s crosscourt (diagonally opposite court) service court.
- Placement: The serve must clear the net and the non-volley line and land in the opponent’s service court. The serve may land on any service court line except the non-volley line.
- Line Call: Served balls that clear the non-volley line and land on any other service court line are good.
- Non-Volley-Zone: A player cannot volley a ball while standing within the non-volley-zone.
- Scoring – Game:
- Scoring: Only the serving team can score points. Points are scored by legally serving a ball that s not touched by the opponent (an ace) or by winning the rally (faulting by the opponent).
- Game: The first side scoring 11 points and leading by at least a 2-point margin wins. If both sides are tied at 10 points, then play continues until one side wins by 2 points.
- The Serve:
Directions to Event:
Going eastbound on Interstate 44: Take Exit #256 for Pacific. Turn right onto W. Osage Street (Business I-44). Drive for 0.6 miles and turn left onto Indian Warpath Drive. Drive 0.1 miles and Pacific High School will be on the right.
Going westbound on Interstate 44: Take Exit #257 for Pacific. Turn left onto Viaduct Street. Go under the overpass and turn left onto W. Osage Street (Business I-44). Drive for 1.1 miles and turn left onto Indian Warpath Drive. Drive 0.1 miles and the Pacific High School will be on the right.