Event Date & Times:
Ages: 50-64: Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017 at 8:00am.
Ages: 65+: Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017 at 10:30am.
Event Location: Four Rivers Family YMCA, 400 Grand Ave., Washington, MO 63090 (Click on address to open location in Google Maps.)
Age Categories: 50-64 & 65+.
NOTE: Names of all Water Volleyball Team members must be filled in on the Water Volleyball Team Roster Form found on the “forms” page.
Event Description: Co-ed Water Volleyball is a game played by 2 teams of 9 in the shallow end of the pool. Teams are co-ed with at least 4 women in play at all times. (No team may have more than 5 men playing at a time.) The object of the game is for each team to send the ball regularly over a net separating the two teams. Teams try to ground the ball in the opponent’s court and prevent the ball from being grounded in its own court.
Equipment for Event: Will be provided.
NOTE: Any changes will be announced the day of the event. Any circumstances not covered by the following rules will be ruled upon by the event coordinator.
- The ball is put into play from a player in the back row that serves the ball by hitting or throwing it over the net into the opponent’s court.
- A team is allowed an unlimited number of hits to return the ball back to the opponent’s court.
- Play is continued until the ball hits the water, goes out of bounds, or a team commits a fault.
- The pool sides, lap-lane ropes, deck, and a floating rope marking the back boundary of the court, are out of bounds.
- The ball must land in the water within these boundaries to be considered in.
- Faults consist of hitting a ball out of bounds, blocking the serve, attacking a served ball that does not result in an upward arch if returned to the serving team, touching the net at any time, and attacking a ball that is completely in the opponent’s court.
- When the receiving team wins play, it is given the serve and its players rotate clockwise one position (8 or fewer players) or zig zag like an S with the server going to the front line (9 players).
- Points are awarded to the serving team after it wins play.
- The 1st team to reach 15 points by a minimum of 2 points wins the game, cap at 20.
- For substitutions, the server exits and the sub moves into the rotation before the serve.
Directions to Event: From Interstate 44 East or West, take Exit #251 for Hwy. 100 West or Washington. From the Hwy. 100 & Hwy. 47 intersection, drive west on Hwy 100 for 1.7 miles to Pottery Road/Clay St. Turn right and drive 0.5 miles to Fifth Street. Turn left and drive 425 ft. to Grand Avenue (Elks Hall is on the corner). Turn right onto Grand Ave. and drive 0.2 miles. The YMCA will be on the right.